Friday, December 24, 2010

Twas the night before Christmas...

It's Christmas Eve and the child and husband are all tucked snug in their beds... while I wait downstairs for Santa to come.  For some reason, I want this Christmas to be perfect for Jude.  I know that he won't remember much, if any, of it and the little details that I'm fretting about will go completely unnoticed, but here I am regardless, wishing I had spent more time making things perfect for Christmas morning.  It seems ridiculous, especially since I'm not a type A personality at all.  There very well may be a million things I'm doing wrong in regards to raising my son, but I at least want him to always feel that I made his Christmases special.  And what I've always found so special and wonderful about Christmas isn't the presents at all.  It's snuggling up on the couch Christmas morning with hot chocolate in warm jammies while It's A Wonderful Life is on the TV in the background.  It's the electricity of the anticipation of the holiday in the air wherever you go.  It's the time to cherish not everything you have, but everyone you have.  As a child, Christmas was always so magical for me and I want Jude to have the same wonder and awe of the season as I did and still do- even if I view things differently as an adult. 

Our little Christmas.  It isn't fancy or grand, but it's ours.


The tree...




Our first ornament after we got married... 


Santa is always watching....




Jude's art project at school gets prominently displayed...



Cookies and milk are out....





Now, we just wait for Santa....

1 comment:

Elissa said...

Don't worry, Erin! All of Jude's Christmases will be special because he has the two things that matter the most: a mommy and daddy who love him and want him to have the very best life. Whatever you do, or don't do, will be exactly right for him so don't stress out about the little things. I'm sure Jude would much rather have a happy mom to snuggle with than perfectly wrapped presents and 20 different kinds of decorated Christmas cookies. :)

I hope your Christmas was marvelous! your tree is absolutely wonderful!