Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thoughts

I was talking with a good friend the other day who is 20 weeks pregnant with her second little girl. She was saying that this baby is her chance to do a lot of things differently. Her comment made me start thinking about Jude. Would I do anything different in regards to raising him? Is there anything I’ve learned these past 21 months that stopped and made me think “Hmm, mental note, if we have a second child don’t do this.” I’ve been trying to come up with anything I feel that I would differently with another baby… and I really can’t think of anything. We’ve just gone with our instincts and what feels natural when it comes to Jude, while still providing boundaries and discipline. He’s happy, well-adjusted, social, and respectful. Of course he has his occasional toddler moments of “NO! MINE!” or back-arching spaz attack when he doesn’t get his way, but not so often that I would call them anything other than being an ordinary toddler. With daylight savings time, there was a night this week that was a little rough and brought me back to the first year when every little creak or crack would wake him up, pretty much hourly. As I was rocking my almost two year old back to sleep, I was transported back to one of the many similar moments over a year ago and couldn’t help but smile. I kissed his sweet blond head and snuggled him a little tighter. I thought of all the “advice” I got during that time period about letting him cry it out because he was “manipulating” me. If ‘manipulating’ meant he needed his mommy to hold him in the dark because he was tired, scared, hungry and couldn’t get back to sleep on his own, so be it. Those moments felt like an eternity when I was in them, but now they feel like a million years ago. And I miss them. I suppose only time will tell if there are certain things I would change. But when I look at Jude right now – with his wild shock of white hair, infectious laugh, million watt smile, and his sheer enthusiasm for EVERYTHING- no, I wouldn’t have done anything differently.

5 comments:

Abby said...

I love this post! especially good for me to read after hearing this week that we are "spoiling" Jones...grr. I'm much like you and have been trying to just sit back and soak in the snuggles when he's up in the middle of the night. Thanks!!

Elissa said...

Erin, this post is SO interesting. I clicked on your attachment parenting tag and went back through and read some of the other posts associated with that tag. The part that is so interesting to me is that even though you guys had some serious struggles, you still wouldn't change anything. This is testimony to the excellent parents that you are. Congrats!

<3 Elissa

PS - Could you please write a book on parenting? Thanks! :)

Baby For Ballerina said...

Ahhh you girls are so sweet! Elissa, I think my book on parenting would be titled: "Ummm, Let's Try This And See If It Works"

LOL!

robyn said...

I LOVE this post Erin!

The Swoboda Family said...

I'm 6 months into having my second, and while we are doing some things differently, I would say that the real difference is that we're better at doing the same things we did the first time around (that and the girls personalities are totally different). I would agree with you Erin that I wouldn't do a thing with the first differently (except for the birth), and I think that it is one of the tenants of AP: follow your instincts and focus on having a relationship with your kids. So glad you post this - it encourages me too!