Monday, May 17, 2010

We survived!

I'm happy to report that our first day of cloth diapering went extremely well!  In fact, it went so well that I'm angry that I didn't try this sooner and let fear get the better of me.  Granted, we used pockets and fitteds for the entire day as I wanted to send the prefolds through one more wash and dry cycle.  I'm still a little intimidated by prefolds with snappis, but I'm sure it will be just like the others.  The only mistake I did make was forget that a fitted diaper wasn't a pocket (I was distracted by the striped skulls on the front) and forgot to put a cover over it.  Luckily, I noticed some dampness on the front of Jude's onesie before any huge mishaps occurred.

Daycare will be the next hurdle.  If you are thinking of cloth diapering and you send your child to daycare fulltime, you will have to check with the daycare provider to ensure they will be on board.  Oh, a tip I learned in regards to that:  make sure to talk to them in person with a pocket or AIO diaper in hand.  Most people when they hear the word "cloth diaper", the image of complicated cloth folding and big bulky diaper pins comes to mind (myself included before I knew better!).  Once they see that cloth diapering can be just as easy as disposables, most will go along with it with no complaints.  I didn't have an issue since the director of our daycare center said that many parents over the years had cloth diapered.  The only thing we needed to do was bring in a diaper pail to leave there and also a new wetbag everyday.  Then we would just transport the dipes to and from daycare in that.  We still have some disposables to use up at daycare, but will probably start with the cloth this week there as well!  We won't mess around with sending the prefolds there, only pockets and AIOs.  So far, so good!

In other news that is un-cloth diaper related, we are in the midst of trying to plan Jude's 1st birthday party which is occurring in a month.  My baby will be one year old in ONE MONTH??  It seems impossible.  It makes me sad and happy all at the same time.  I know it is stated over and over, time and again, but it really does go by so fast.  That's why I love to keep this blog- if only to remember the little things.

3 comments:

mrsolsenk12 said...

So glad that it went so well for you. Better late than never right.

Baby For Ballerina said...

I'm honestly surprised! They are SO easy!

Rebekah said...

Good for you! I'm a little disappointed that it didn't go so well for us, but oh well! Good luck in the contest!